Corporate Board Governance and Director Compensation: A Review of 2015
March 24, 2015
The Most Comprehensive Canadian Governance Study
We are pleased to present the most comprehensive review of public issuer governance data available in Canada. This twenty-third annual report examines governance in Canadian companies and includes our special report, Industry Knowledge on the Board: Well Off the Target. Our commitment is to provide directors and trustees with accurate and relevant Canadian data across a wide spectrum.
The data is collected from publicly traded companies that were on one or more of the following lists:
- The Financial Post Top 220 (June 2015)
- The Report on Business Top 220 (July 2015)
- The S&P/TSX Composite Index (at any time during 2014)
- We draw data from annual reports, management proxy circulars and annual information forms for fiscal year-ends in late 2014, or the first few months of 2015. All references to “2014” data include data for year-ends in early 2015.
- All figures reported in United States dollars have been converted to Canadian dollars at an exchange rate of 1.10, which was the average exchange rate for 2014.
- All fractions have been rounded off to the nearest whole number, thus all totals do not add up to exactly 100%.
- Where this report uses comparative U.S. data, it is drawn from the following sources:
- * 2014-2015 Director Compensation Report published by the National Association of Corporate Directors with data from the 2014 Director Compensation Survey by Pearl Meyers & Partners. The study is based on 1,400 companies across 24 industries that filed a proxy statement or other financial statement with director compensation information for the fiscal year ending between Feb. 1, 2013 and Jan. 31, 2014.
- * 2015-2016 NACD Public Company Governance Survey, a publication of the National Association of Corporate Directors. This report is based on insights from 1,034 public company responses.